Resident Evil

Resident Evil (Main Theme)

I’ve put this up because it’s quite a big influence on what I’m doing with my project. This is the title theme from Paul W. S. Anderson’s ‘Resident Evil’ (2002), composed by Marilyn Manson.

I’m quite a fan of Manson’s music in itself as there are a lot of dark, distorted sounds in most of his work, and his score of this film is just perfect for the visuals. The entire score has a dark, industrial feel to it (as the film is set in an underground research facility following a viral outbreak, killing everyone inside) as well as a cold relentlessness, relating to the reanimated corpses of the facility employees.
There is also a menacing waltzing melody which is reused a few times throughout the film. This is a nod to certain themes in the film based on Lewis Carroll’s ‘Alice in Wonderland’ and represents the Red Queen (the computer controlling the facility whose I.A. is advanced enough to give her a personality and is represented as a hologram of a young girl).

In all, Manson’s score interests me as it isn’t just composed to scare you, it is a sonic representation of the visuals on-screen as well as the themes of the film – something that I am trying to achieve with my project 🙂